Friday, June 19, 2015

Father's Day Card

Father's Day is coming up and I wanted to make a card for my father-in-law that included his love of maps. We recently traveled to Europe with them and I'd saved several of the city maps and decided to upcycle one of them! 
                            
Tutorial is below for a simple Father's day card for the globetrotting father!



Materials needed: 
  • Old Map. I used a map of Nice, France that I'd saved from our trip last month
  • Blank notecard and envelope
  • Double sided tape
  • Glue
  • Yellow cardstock
  • Scissors
  • Black pen/marker
Use a can, cup, or any household item with a circular shape to trace out a circle on the map. This will be the "globe" on your card!


 
Cut out the globe base out of the yellow cardstock. I freehanded it after drawing it out---basically a rectangle and a rounded base. Apply a small amount of glue and press firmly down. 

 

Glue the globe down on top of the base. Next, cut out an arc that is slightly larger than the globe. I free-handed this with pencil and then cut it out on the yellow cardstock. Apply glue to the back of it and press down on it and let it dry.

I am by no means a calligrapher and my lettering is at a total beginner's level! I wrote out "World's best dad" in pencil multiple times before settling on this one and tracing over it in a black felt-tipped pen. I added a little leafy strand underneath it to finish it off and fill in the gap between the text and the globe. And there you have it! This was one of the simplest/fastest cards I've made! Happy Father's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment